Buf is building a new paradigm for APIs. We create both open-source and commercial software that enables teams to create, maintain, and consume their Protobuf APIs systematically. We believe Protobuf represents a huge improvement on the industry standard of JSON/REST, and are excited to make Protobuf a reality for all teams, from scrappy startups to leading enterprises. Founded in 2020, we have raised money from some of the world’s premier investors, including Lightspeed, Tiger, and Addition. We are just getting started and would love to have your help.
Summary: We’re currently hiring Software Engineer Co-op Students to help us build out the core of our products.
Work Term Length: 4 months minimum, 8+ months strongly preferred
Buf is reinventing the way the industry works with APIs. Our ultimate goal is to deprecate REST/JSON as the industry's standard and replace it with a paradigm where APIs are easier to create, maintain, and consume. To make this a reality, we’ve built the industry’s most comprehensive tools for managing Protobuf APIs.
We're looking for talented co-op students to join our fast growing team. Co-op students at Buf are completely integrated into our team and get to work on meaningful projects during their time with us! Our co-op students handle problems across backend and frontend engineering.
The scope of the work is broad and changing quickly, but generally includes:
- Designing and developing aspects of the backend and frontend of our products, including software architecture, deployment, and support.
- Updating our public-facing marketing and website based on input from Design, Engineering, and Business Development team members.
- Engaging with Buf's current and potential users in the Protobuf and gRPC ecosystems, to gather user feedback and respond to inquiries.
- Helping to identify and establish best-in-class engineering approaches and practices.
- Constant learning across a wide variety of technical areas, as needed, to solve emerging problems to bring our product to life.
- Proficiency programming with Go.
- Solid grasp of fundamental concepts related to system design, such as data structures, algorithms, and operating systems.
- Experience with software development tools (e.g., git) and the software development life cycle.
- The ability to move quickly while managing trade-offs of performance, reliability, security, and code quality.
- Three or more years of completion of a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer / Software Engineering.
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with one or more of the following: Kubernetes, Envoy, Postgres, GCP.
- Experience in API design or schema IDLs, such as Protobuf.
- Interest in the developer tools market, including improving how organizations work with APIs, particularly within the Protobuf / gRPC ecosystem.
- An excellent sense for good experience and visual design. You’ll be working on problems usually handled by product and design teams, and will be key to shaping our user experience.
- Professional work experience at one of Canada’s fastest growing technology start-ups.
- Opportunity to join the team in its early days, take on major responsibility, and make meaningful contributions.
- Ability to work as part of an international team coming together to solve real-world engineering problems - Buf employees come from all over the world.
- Extremely competitive cash compensation for all employees.
- Professional downtown Toronto office for optimal collaboration.
At Buf, we embrace diversity. We know that diverse teams make great teams, and we encourage people from all backgrounds and life experiences to apply. It is our goal to ensure that our workplace can be anyone’s workplace. If your experience isn’t an exact match for this job description, we encourage you to apply anyway! We’re always looking to add diversity of thought and perspective to our team.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Buf. More details about Buf’s privacy practices can be found at: https://buf.build/resources/privacy/.