Buf is building a new paradigm for APIs. We create both open-source and commercial software that enables teams to create, maintain, and consume their Protobuf APIs systematically. We believe Protobuf represents a huge improvement on the industry standard of JSON/REST, and are excited to make Protobuf a reality for all teams, from scrappy startups to leading enterprises. Founded in 2020, we have raised money from some of the world’s premier investors, including Lightspeed, Tiger, and Addition. We are just getting started and would love to have your help.
We’re currently hiring a Product Designer to help us deliver a leading developer experience for our products.
You will be a key hire and an early member of the Design team. The scope of the work is broad and changing quickly, but generally includes:
- Leading product design from beginning to end, including design workshops and presenting your work to internal and external stakeholders and users.
- Leveraging user-centered design (e.g., interviews, product research) to understand developers’ needs and preferences and inform Buf’s user experience.
- Developing user-centric product designs, including user flows, wireframes, prototypes, and final product outputs.
- Supporting the development of website and other marketing material design, in collaboration with frontend engineering.
- Analyzing complicated user experience (UX) design problems and complex technology products in order to turn them into highly usable and efficient product experiences.
- Close collaboration with our team on Engineering, Product, and Developer Relations challenges to help advance our products.
It’s an all-hands-on-deck situation - you’ll be able to have a large impact from day one.
What You Will Achieve:
In your first month, you will review Buf’s products, become familiar with our users’ needs, and understand the concepts underlying the current product design. You will begin analyzing feedback and analogous products to identify opportunities for improvement of the product design. You’ll begin to own components of the product design.
Within three months, you’ll be owning the design and enhancement of the frontend experience of Buf’s products. You’ll play a critical role in performing user validation to ensure a leading product design.
- Experience with B2B SaaS (Software as a Service) products, bonus points for developer tools. Our products target users with complex technical requirements, and the ability to understand Buf’s products is critical in designing an experience that meets their needs.
- Passion for delivering a world-class developer experience.
- Mastery of Figma (or another analogous design tool)
- 3+ years of professional experience in Product or UX Design, with the ability to point to past product design experiences that you helped ship.
- Prior professional experience designing and/or using developer tools.
- Familiarity with distributed systems and APIs.
- Prior experience using prototyping tools to make your work come to life.
- A bachelors or master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Mathematics.
At Buf, we embrace diversity. We know that diverse teams make great teams, and we encourage people from all backgrounds and life experiences to apply. It is our goal to ensure that our workplace can be anyone’s workplace. If your experience isn’t an exact match for this job description, we encourage you to apply anyway! We’re always looking to add diversity of thought and perspective to our team.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Buf. More details about Buf’s privacy practices can be found at: https://buf.build/resources/privacy/.