Buf is driving a new paradigm of APIs. Our team builds both open-source and commercial software that enables teams- whether they be small startups or the world’s leading enterprises- to ingest, manage, and maintain their APIs systematically: a huge improvement from the existing ‘wild west’ of JSON/REST. Founded in 2020, we’re gaining momentum and have garnered enthusiasm (with good reason!) from some of the world’s premier investors, including Lightspeed, Tiger, and Addition.
We’re currently hiring Frontend Software Engineers to help us build out the public-facing features that enable users to engage with our products.
You will be a key early hire joining our frontend engineering team. The scope of the work is broad and changing quickly, but generally includes:
- Designing and developing all aspects of the frontend for Buf’s products, including software architecture, deployment, and support.
- Updating our public-facing marketing and website based on input from Design, Engineering, and Business Development team members.
- Constant learning across a wide variety of technical areas, as needed, to solve emerging problems to bring our product to life.
- Helping to identify and establish best-in-class engineering approaches and practices.
It’s an all-hands-on-deck situation - you’ll be able to have a large impact from day one.
What You Will Achieve:
In the first month, you will build a deep understanding of Buf’s business and technology and begin contributing to our products. You will have time to learn about the API and Protobuf/gRPC ecosystem, our users’ needs, and our underlying technology.
Within three months, you will have shipped public-facing features and contributed to designs that shape the direction of the product. You will be a key contributor to our user experience, often leading critical public-facing projects in partnership with Design, Product, and Business Development. You will continue to take on greater responsibility in owning the frontend experience of Buf’s products.
We hire based on skills / experience and are open to hiring at all levels for this role
- Familiarity with modern Typescript frameworks, with preference given to the use of React.
- A track record of architecting robust and reliable, production-grade frontend designs.
- The ability to move quickly while managing trade-offs of performance, reliability, security, and code quality.
Nice to Haves:
- Experience working on frontend products targeting developers, with exposure to Software as a Service systems. Our products target users with complex technical requirements, and a background building products for a similar audience will be helpful to understand their needs.
- Experience working in the Protobuf/gRPC ecosystem, with an interest in improving how organizations work with APIs.
- An excellent sense for good experience and visual design. You’ll be working on problems usually handled by product and design teams, and will be key to shaping our user experience.
- A bachelors or master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Mathematics is preferred.
- Opportunity to join the team in its early days, take on major responsibility, and make meaningful contributions.
- Work as part of an international team coming together to solve real-world engineering problems - Buf employees come from all over the world.
- Extremely competitive cash compensation and equity grants for all employees - we pay US-level salaries, regardless of which side of the border you are working on.
- Professional downtown Toronto office for optimal collaboration. Generous budget for remote employees to travel to Toronto for in-person collaboration and team building.
- Canadian immigration support available to all successful candidates and their families, including permanent residency sponsorship when eligible (Toronto office only).
Buf recognizes the value and importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce: We are dedicated to building a team reflective of the global community we serve. We believe that diversity isn’t limited to classifying people (or putting them into boxes), and are proudly committed to building a team that is accepting of, and puts no added emphasis on, any and all classifications; including, but not limited to, race, age, gender, gender expression/identity, religion, sexual orientation, nationality, disability, or age.