Buf is driving a new paradigm of APIs. Our team builds both open-source and commercial software that enables teams- whether they be small startups or the world’s leading enterprises- to ingest, manage, and maintain their APIs systematically: a huge improvement from the existing ‘wild west’ of JSON/REST. Founded in 2020, we’re gaining momentum and have garnered enthusiasm (with good reason!) from some of the world’s premier investors, including Lightspeed, Tiger, and Addition.
We’re currently hiring Engineering Managers to lead our talented teams of Backend and Frontend Software Engineers and help us build out the core of our products.
Remote opportunities are available.
The scope of the work is broad and changing quickly, but generally includes:
- Supervising and mentoring a team of Software Engineers to build products which deliver on our company’s strategy.
- Supporting the design and development of all aspects of our products, including software architecture, deployment, and support.
- Conducting technological analyses and research to provide guidance on the future direction of our products.
- Developing and monitoring KPIs to assess team and technological performance.
- Helping to identify and establish best-in-class engineering approaches and practices.
- Engaging with Buf's current and potential users in the Protobuf and gRPC ecosystems, to demo our products and gather user feedback.
- At least two years of professional experience leading a team of software engineers.
- A track record of architecting robust and reliable, production-grade distributed systems, ideally using Protobuf and/or gRPC.
- The ability to move quickly while managing trade-offs of performance, reliability, security, and code quality.
- Excellent communication skills and organizational abilities.
- A bachelors or master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Mathematics is strongly preferred.
Nice to Haves:
- Experience working on products targeting developers, with exposure to Software as a Service systems.
- Experience with one or more of the following: Kubernetes, Envoy, Postgres, GCP; or modern Typescript frameworks, with preference given to the use of React.
- A track record of existing work within the Protobuf and gRPC communities.
Buf recognizes the value and importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce: We are dedicated to building a team reflective of the global community we serve. We believe that diversity isn’t limited to classifying people (or putting them into boxes), and are proudly committed to building a team that is accepting of, and puts no added emphasis on, any and all classifications; including, but not limited to, race, age, gender, gender expression/identity, religion, sexual orientation, nationality, disability, or age.