Buf is building a new paradigm for APIs. We create both open-source and commercial software that enables teams to create, maintain, and consume their Protobuf APIs systematically. We believe Protobuf represents a huge improvement on the industry standard of JSON/REST, and are excited to make Protobuf a reality for all teams, from scrappy startups to leading enterprises. Founded in 2020, we have raised money from some of the world’s premier investors, including Lightspeed, Tiger, and Addition. We are just getting started and would love to have your help.
We’re currently hiring Engineering Managers to lead our talented teams of Backend and Frontend Software Engineers and help us build out the core of our products.
Remote opportunities are available.
The scope of the work is broad and changing quickly, but generally includes:
- Supervising and mentoring a team of Software Engineers to build products which deliver on our company’s strategy.
- Supporting the design and development of all aspects of our products, including software architecture, deployment, and support.
- Conducting technological analyses and research to provide guidance on the future direction of our products.
- Developing and monitoring KPIs to assess team and technological performance.
- Helping to identify and establish best-in-class engineering approaches and practices.
- Engaging with Buf's current and potential users in the Protobuf and gRPC ecosystems, to demo our products and gather user feedback.
- At least two years of professional experience leading a team of software engineers.
- A track record of architecting robust and reliable, production-grade distributed systems, ideally using Protobuf and/or gRPC.
- The ability to move quickly while managing trade-offs of performance, reliability, security, and code quality.
- Excellent communication skills and organizational abilities.
- A bachelors or master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Mathematics is strongly preferred.
Nice to Haves:
- Experience working on products targeting developers, with exposure to Software as a Service systems.
- Experience with one or more of the following: Kubernetes, Envoy, Postgres, GCP; or modern Typescript frameworks, with preference given to the use of React.
- A track record of existing work within the Protobuf and gRPC communities.
At Buf, we embrace diversity. We know that diverse teams make great teams, and we encourage people from all backgrounds and life experiences to apply. It is our goal to ensure that our workplace can be anyone’s workplace. If your experience isn’t an exact match for this job description, we encourage you to apply anyway! We’re always looking to add diversity of thought and perspective to our team.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Buf. More details about Buf’s privacy practices can be found at: https://buf.build/resources/privacy/.