- Engaging with our community, using a range of channels such as Github, discussion forums, technical demos, and social media.
- Building technical tools and demos to help onboard users and communicate key changes or integrations with our products (e.g., quickstarts, tutorials).
- Participating in discussions with technical staff of all levels (from individual contributors to executives) to encourage user adoption.
- Attending, presenting at, and engaging with current and potential users at industry conferences.
- Developing blog posts on a range of topics of interest to our users, in collaboration with our Engineering team (see our previous Blog posts for inspiration).
- Gathering community feedback to influence Buf’s product roadmap.
- Responding to questions and issues from our community related to our products.
- Identifying, prioritizing and triaging issues for escalation to our Engineering team.
- Coordinating with our Engineers on product and design problems to ensure excellent developer experiences during the creation and enhancement of our products.
- Professional experience in either software engineering (backend) or developer relations.
- Experience working with distributed systems, ideally using Protobuf and/or gRPC. Our products target users with complex technical requirements, and the ability to understand their needs is critical.
- Proven ability to work with developer-focused companies to deliver ‘wow’ developer experiences.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including experience and confidence with public speaking.
- Excellent people skills, with a user / community-oriented mindset.
- A bachelors or master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Mathematics is strongly preferred.
Nice to Haves
- Experience in a similar role at a developer tools company.
- Professional experience working as a software engineer, ideally with prior experience with Go.
- Experience writing and editing technical documentation.
- Experience developing tutorial materials (e.g., knowledge bases, self-guided tutorials, videos) to onboard and educate users.
- Opportunity to join the team in its early days, take on major responsibility, and make meaningful contributions.
- Work as part of an international team coming together to solve real-world engineering problems - Buf employees come from all over the world.
- Extremely competitive cash compensation and equity grants for all employees - we pay US-level salaries, regardless of which side of the border you are working on.
- Professional downtown Toronto office for optimal collaboration. Generous budget for remote employees to travel to Toronto for in-person collaboration and team building.
- Canadian immigration support available to all successful candidates and their families, including permanent residency sponsorship when eligible (Toronto office only).