Buf is building a new paradigm for APIs. We create both open-source and commercial software that enables teams to create, maintain, and consume their Protobuf APIs systematically. We believe Protobuf represents a huge improvement on the industry standard of JSON/REST, and are excited to make Protobuf a reality for all teams, from scrappy startups to leading enterprises. Founded in 2020, we have raised money from some of the world’s premier investors, including Lightspeed, Tiger, and Addition. We are just getting started and would love to have your help.
We’re hiring a Business Operations Associate to identify and solve complex strategic and operational challenges at Buf.
You will be a key early hire in our Business Operations team. You will be responsible for partnering with teams across the organization to build new processes, and identify and address any barriers to Buf’s growth.
It’s an all-hands-on-deck situation - you’ll be able to have a large impact from day one.
The scope of the work is broad and changing quickly, but generally includes:
- Lead and support strategic initiatives through research, analysis, presentation development, business reporting, and project execution.
- Developing short and long-term plans for the operation and improvement of business functions, including: strategic finance, analytics, people operations, business development, and information security.
- Leading vendor assessments and managing ongoing relationships for external business partners (e.g., consultants, accountants, software providers).
- Driving marketing and growth efforts, including inbound and outbound marketing, developer relations, and business development.
- Managing strategic finance, including budgeting, forecasting, performance reporting and historic and forward-looking financial analysis.
- Launching product and community analytics at Buf, including implementing analytics tools and conducting analytics to assess product performance, understand user trends and identify new product opportunities.
- 3+ years of experience in consulting, internal strategy, private equity, or at a high-growth startup, ideally with experience in operations or product management.
- Experience with financial modeling and a strong understanding of finance fundamentals and unit economics.
- Strong analytical skills with high attention to detail and a demonstrated track record of leveraging data to drive business impact.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills, with the ability to create messaging for a variety of audiences.
- Professional experience in a similar role at a SaaS company.
- Comfort with data analytics tools and business reporting.
- Experience using SQL for data analytics.
- A bachelors or master’s degree in Business Administration, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science.
- Opportunity to join the team in its early days, take on major responsibility, and make meaningful contributions.
- Work as part of an international team coming together to solve complex technical and business problems - Buf employees come from all over the world.
- Extremely competitive cash compensation and equity grants for all employees - we pay US-level salaries, regardless of which side of the border you are working on.
- Professional downtown Toronto office for optimal collaboration.
At Buf, we embrace diversity. We know that diverse teams make great teams, and we encourage people from all backgrounds and life experiences to apply. It is our goal to ensure that our workplace can be anyone’s workplace. If your experience isn’t an exact match for this job description, we encourage you to apply anyway! We’re always looking to add diversity of thought and perspective to our team.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Buf. More details about Buf’s privacy practices can be found at: https://buf.build/resources/privacy/.